Stress can be a killer!
Stress is something that starts off slow and creeps up on you and then has the power to blow the lid off your world.
So, what is stress?
Stress is the body’s natural defence against predators and danger. It flushes the body with hormones to prepare systems to evade or confront danger. This is known as the “fight-or-flight” mechanism. Stress is a reaction we can have to change. This reaction can be physical, mental or emotional.
The negative repercussions of stress:
Stress can slow down our digestive system, increase breathing, heart rate, insomnia, immune activity decreases.
So how do we deal with stress?
Here are our top 10 tips on how to bust stress:
- Exercise – this is number one! Exercise changes our mindset. After a workout, endorphins will be pumping. Endorphins trigger a positive feeling in the body, similar to that of morphine. You’ll be feeling heaps better than you did pre-workout.
- Spend time in nature – Earthing/Grounding. The Earth is an electrical planet, and you are a bioelectrical being. Your body functions electrically. Your heart and nervous system are prime examples. Emerging science reveals that direct contact with the ground allows you to receive an energy infusion, compliments of Mother Earth. This always brings me back to what’s important and what I need to let go of.
- Spend time with animals – I always feel so happy when I’m around animals. I especially love dogs, but I am not biased, all animals make me happy, in particular our furry friends. I’m never stressed when I’m around dogs.
- Pump some tunes – Definitely changes our state. Go for a drive and pump some tunes! Turn the volume up on music that makes you happy. Go to the gym and crank tunes there. This is my first go to anytime I start to feel stressed.
- Socialise – Go see a mate. Go hang out with your friends. Sometimes all we need is to redirect our focus. Go for coffee, lunch or a walk down the beach. Spend some time to reconnect with you mates.
- Set a new goal – Growth happens not when we dwell on the old, but when we focus on the good. Setting new goals is a motivating task for me. it allows me the chance to dream about what I want to bring into my life. Focusing on the positive almost forces us to forget the negative.
- Focus on your breath – It’s all about the breath baby. This is a good one if you’re stuck in traffic and not in a position to meditate or find animals etc. Try this strategy: Breath in for 5 seconds, hold for 5 seconds, then exhale for 5 seconds. Do this 5 times.
- Write – Whenever I have a matter that my mind cannot put down, I write. I find this especially valuable in the middle of the night, if I ever find myself unable to sleep due to thoughts running around in my mind. I write it out. I find that once written, I’m able to let that matter go.
- Meditate – Meditation actually forces you to slow down. Meditation is an incredible escape that can take you far away and manifest, once you get used to slowing down. In this crazy world we live in, we have been so accustomed to a fast pace, the rat race, everything has to be done yesterday. Meditation will help slow things down. Start off with only 5 minutes per day and build from there. Remember consistency is the most important thing in creating new habits. Just as it is so with fitness and nutrition.
- If all else fails, jump out of a plane! – Not even joking. Go skydiving! I can promise you, when you are sitting in the plane, getting ready to literally fall out of the sky, I guarantee you, you are not going to have any stress in the world. This is because all you will be able to focus on is that task at hand. This is a great lesson in being present also. I like to go skydiving when I think too much due to having a lot on my plate.